Anand Sanwal is the CEO and Co-Founder of CB Insights. Specifically, CB Insights tracks financing trends and private companies in the healthcare, industrial, technology, software, energy & utilities, renewable, internet and mobile industries. CB Insights works primarily with venture capital, private equity, angel investors, corporate development, corporate strategy and family offices. Formerly, Anand was the Vice President at American Express. Sanwal was responsible for managing three primary functions which included the (1) Chairman’s $50 Million Innovation Fund, (2) CFO’s strategic planning function and (3) Enterprise Investment Optimization group. He is the author of “Optimizing Corporate Portfolio Management” which features a forward by former American Express and Citigroup CFO, Gary Crittenden.
In Todays Episode You Will Learn:
- Why Anand chose not to take VC funding for CB Insights?
- Should all subscription based companies be revenue funded?
- What one key determinant has contributed to the success of CB Insights?
- How has Anand’s hiring strategy changed over time?
- How strategies does Anand use to create this company culture?
- What is the biggest challenge facing Anand today?
- What tactics have not worked when trying to create a good working environment?
- Is CB Insights replacing VCs, potentially losing their core customers?
- What metrics Anand would most look for in a startup?
We then delve into a quick fire round and discover what is Anand’s favourite business book, what gets Anand excited, what advice Anand would give to himself 10 years ago starting out in the industry and finally the next 5 years for Anand and CB Insights.