20 VC 047: 4 Ways Investors Find Great Startups with Rob Moffat, Principal @ Balderton Capital
Rob Moffat is Principal at Balderton Capital, one of London’s leading VC firms. At Balderton Rob specialises in Fintech, Martech, Gaming and Marketplaces. Rob is currently a board director or observer with six portfolio companies: Qubit, Wooga, Housetrip, Carwow, Rentify and Nutmeg. Other investments Rob has been involved with at Balderton include Citymapper, Top10, Scoot and Archify. Prior to joining Balderton Rob worked for Google in London, as a Manager in the European Strategy and Operations team. He started his career with five years in strategy consulting with Bain, working mostly with financial services clients.
In today’s amazing discussion with Rob we discover:
- What characteristics make a great VC?
- How VCs assess incoming business plans and investment opportunities?
- The biggest problem facing Rob today, as Principal at Balderton?
- How the structure of VC firms is changing to a service based environment?
- Does Crowdfunding pose a threat to VC as a alternative method of finance?
- For individuals wanting to move into Venture, what can they do to optimise their employability in the VC world?
Items Mentioned in Today’s Show:
- Rob Moffat: Medium
- Rob’s Favourite Book: The Circle: Dave Eggers
- Just Park
- Nutmeg: Online Investment Management