Founders Friday 007: Founding Europe’s Largest Mobile Trading App with Nick Bortot, Founder @ Bux
Nick Bortot is the Founder & CEO at Bux, Europe’s largest mobile trading platform with an incredible 175,000 active users. In his former life he was one of the driving forces behind the Dutch market leader in online brokerage, BinckBank. There he held several commercial positions before he was elected member of the executive board. After having spent five years in the boardroom, Nick started dreaming about a new company that would make the financial markets both fun and exciting. This dream turned into BUX. Bud has attained many incredible mentions and awards including being named on the Fintech50 2015. You can also check out their first TV add right here!
In Today’s Episode You Will Learn:
- How Nick made the move from broking to founding Bux?
- What are the benefits of being a slightly older founder?
- What Nick would recommend to anyone looking for a technical co-founder?
- How to build a team of individuals with complimentary skills?
- What are the drivers for the incredible growth to 175,000 users?
- How is Nick planning to convert an audience of non trader to start trading?
- What advice would Nick give founders entering into heavily regulated markets?
- How Bux have built a great brand in a competitive market?
- Having raised funds from Orange Growth Capital, what was surprising and challenging for Nick about raising angel and VC money?
- What would Nick do differently if he was raising funds again?
- Does Nick agree with the concept of building a ‘war chest’ of funds?
Items Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Nick’s Fave Newsletter or Blog: VICE News
Nick’s Fave App: BRAINTOSS: Toss your thoughts straight into your inbox