20 VC 009: Red Flags, Becoming a VC and Saas with Joe Floyd
On today’s episode of The Twenty Minute VC, I am hugely excited to welcome Joe Floyd to the hotseat. Joe is Principal at Emergence Capital Partners. His expertise in building cloud startups has evolved over 10 years of advising and investing in startups. Prior to Emergence, Joe worked in American Capital’s technology group where he focused on fast growing internet companies. At American Capital Joe was involved in their investments with the likes of PeopleMedia and HomeAway.
Items Mentioned In Today’s Show
- The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
- Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into a Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com
- Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth and Happiness
What you will learn in today’s show:
- How Joe made his transition from the world of tech investment banking into the Venture Capital industry?
- What Joe would advise an individual looking to get into the industry?
- What Joe believes to be the most important aspect that a startup must have in order to attain VC funding?
- Whether Joe prefers a founder or a founding team?
- Joe describes what the main red flags are when startups pitch?
- When Joe thinks of success, who is the first person that comes to mind?
- What business books have been the most transformative to Joe?
We then delve into a quick fire round where Joe gives his immediate thoughts on the future of Amazon and Tesla and whether we really are in a tech bubble or not?
As always thank you so much for listening to today’s show, for furthr details and resources, head on over to www.thetwentyminutevc.com. Likewise we would love to hear who you would like to have on the show, if you have any suggestions please do email email@example.com with your suggestions.