20 VC 056: The Life Cycle of Startups with Guy Turner @ Hyde Park VP
Quote of the Day: ‘Invest in people who do what they say they are going to do and have done what they said they would do’. Guy Turner, 20VC
Guy Turner is a Partner at Hyde Park Venture Partners where he focuses on fast growing companies run by ambitious entrepreneurs with disruptive ideas. All of his incredible findings can be found through his blog at vcwithme.co. Guy joined Hyde Park Venture Partners in 2011 from Boston Consulting Group where he focused on corporate strategy across a variety of industries; he started his investing career as an Associate and then actively investing Member of Hyde Park Angels in 2009. Guy has led investments in numerous B2B software companies and is a Director at Geofeedia, InContext Solutions and Iris Mobile. Guy is also a Siebel Scholar, Kauffman Fellow and a co-inventor on two US Patents.
In Today’s Episode You Will Learn:
- How Guy made his move into the investing industry?
- How did Guy find the transition from academia to venture?
- Why is it crucial for startups to innovate, test and sell quickly?
- How can a startup determine whether their project is successful or if they should pivot?
- What are the three steps to the 18 month runway, all startups need?
- Do investors mind providing more financially to increase the runway?
- What can startups do to maximise the hype surrounding their business?
- Can hype ever be detrimental to a startup?
- What are Guy’s preferences in terms of founders?
- How can a startup know when VCs are subtly rejecting them?
Items Mentioned in Today’s Show: