20VC: Why Hardware Is Actually Software Wrapped In Plastic & “Of Course Hardware Is Hard, Everything Is Hard” with Ben Einstein, Founder & General Partner @ Bolt VC
Ben Einstein is Founder and General Partner @ Bolt, Bolt is a fund designed to address the unique needs of early-stage startups at the intersection of hardware and software, investing up to $500K in pre-seed, pre-product companies. They have created and backed some world class businesses that have received later funding from Khosla, Kleiner Perkins, NEA, and Softtech just to name a few.
In Today’s Episode with Ben You Will Learn:
- How Ben made his way into VC from such a product centric background?
- Why have we seen a rise in hardware investing over the last 5 years? How has this affected the hardware ecosystem?
- To what extent do hardware and software integrate today? Why have we seen the rise of software determining the hardware winners?
- Why is brand the most important thing in consumer hardware? Who has done it best? Who has not done it well?
- What is Ben’s biggest advice to hardware founders today? Why is raising too much money extremely dangerous for hardware founders?
Items Mentioned In Today’s Show:
Ben’s Fave Blog and Newsletter: Ben Evans
Ben’s Fave Book: The Box
Ben’s Most Recent Investment: Grow: Redesigning Gardening
Eve make 1 perfect mattress – made with 3 layer technology and next generation memory foam. It comes packaged in a beautiful box and arrives the day after you order. You get 100 nights to try it with free return pick-up – it really is the perfect mattress for everyone. Just go online to evemattress.co.uk and enter the code 20VC for £50 off. Everybody deserves the perfect start with Eve.